I've never been a baker, a cook, or a chef of any sort. I burn toast and can barely manage microwave oatmeal. When I started getting into raw treats last year I felt like I was finally almost adequate at creating goodies in the kitchen, but really they're just ridiculously easy to make.
Trust me, if I can make these. You can too. Blind folded. With spoons for hands. You don't need to pre-heat an oven, soften butter or even own a carton of eggs. All you need is some basic fruits and nuts and a hungry stomach. If you've never tried these bad boys - prepare for your world to change.
|I have zero photographic skills please don't judge me/the bliss balls by this photo. Taste them and see for yourself!|
1 cup of whole walnuts
1 1/4 cups of pitted dates
1/2 cup of raw cacao
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup goji berries
- Place walnuts and cacao in the blender, pulse until finely ground.
- Add dates, one or two at a time, through the feed tube or lid hole whilst the blender is running. If the mixture consistency doesn't seem gooey or strong enough, add more.
- Scoop into a large mixing bowl and add chopped almonds and goji berries.
- Mix it up (hands are fine!) all together, ensuring you have a nice consistent texture throughout
- Break off desired amounts of mixture and roll into roughly golf ball-sized balls. Place on a tray with baking powder underneath and allow to cool in a freezer or fridge until ready to serve.
You can play around with the ingredients - add or subtract what you like but be sure to keep in the dates and cacao. If you're looking to mix it up I would recommend adding other superfoods like maca powder, chia seeds or even just some LSA butter! Next time I make a batch I'm going to roll them in some fine desiccated coconut and create a health-packed alternative to the rum-balls or truffles I ate as a kid.
PS. When using large amounts of dates, because they are so thick and gooey in nature, the blender blades can sometimes get a little overworked and need a break. If they suddenly stop, just turn it off, let it rest and crank that baby up again in a few minutes.
Good luck and enjoy!